This workshop focuses on the utilization of High performance Computing (HPC) clusters, such as Mana, for deep learning tasks. Attendees will also learn how to use Jupyter Lab on Mana via Open OnDemand, the benefits of using GPUs over just CPUs for deep learning applications and how staging data the correct file system can improve performance of deep learning jobs.
- Command line experience. We recommend the participants to go through shell-novice if you are new to the command-line
- Have an account on Mana
- Have UH Duo/MFA enabled
- Have a modern web browser
By the end of this workshop, students will know how to:
- Have a basic understanding of how to access Open OnDemand and use Jupyter Lab on Mana
- Have a basic understanding of how to request GPUs and utilize them for deep learning tasks
- Have a basic understanding of the performance difference between CPU and GPU for deep learning
- Have a basic understanding of different types of file system found on HPC clusters
- Have a basic understanding of how correct file system choice affect application performance
To get started, follow the directions in the “Setup” tab to download data to your computer and follow any installation instructions.